I get asked this question all the time? But Sunaina what do I post on social media? I definitely don’t want to post about my personal life?
AND here is my answer to the question.
See whatever you do and however you do it, you’re always going to find people that are going to criticise you and your work! Same goes for content on LinkedIn.
You will have 3 different types of people on your LinkedIn
- The one who likes/ comments and shares your content
- The one who critises your work, while they have no content on their own profile
- And the final one – The LinkedIn ghosts, they see and like your stuff but will never hit that like button…
Don’t get hung on about what people say or think, you post what you like posting as long as it’s not offensive language.
Here is a story to put things in perspective.
A MAN and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for?
So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of them said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he sits on the donkey
So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy man to let his poor little son walk while he enjoys the ride
So they both sat on the donkey and people started saying what a poor donkey and horrible people, both of them sitting on him…. Shame
So they tied the legs of the donkey and carried him to the market and yet people carried on laughing….
The moral of the story is Please all and you will please NONE! So do what pleases you.
Last but not the least here are few ideas!
- Share valuable knowledge of your industry
- Show examples of your work/photos, videos etc
- Give away tips and tricks for other people to follow
- Be open to sharing your wins and loses, makes you look like a real human being and not a person who has a perfect life, because let’s be honest we don’t and definitely not always.
- Help people
- Share other people’s post with their permission
- Comment, like and share others’ content, don’t be a LinkedIn ghost.
- Don’t spam people, connect with them, find out about them through their profile and say something that is relevant to them.
- Personalise your conversations and connections (no bulk invites)
Finally if you need more help, feel free to email me on firstname.lastname@example.org, I will be more than happy to help.