Did you know that a third of teenagers send approximately 100 text messages a day, opting to communicate with their friends via their mobile, rather than face to face?
A conversation requires a balance between conversion and listening. Whether you’re networking or happen to bump into someone in the street, here’s how to get beyond small talk and add real meaning to your conversations:
- Don’t multi-task! Stay 100% present in the moment
- Assume you’ll have something to learn. You can learn something from everyone, so enter the conversation with interest
- Use open questions such as who, what, where, when, how and why to keep the conversation flowing
- Express a natural curiosity for what the other person is telling you by asking relevant questions and showing genuine interest
- Listen! Focus on what is being said and remember that silence is one of the key tools for a successful conversation
- Remember the key points of what has been said. The next time you touch base, ask for an update.
- Have fun! Personalise the conversation; pick on something you have in common or grab an opportunity to decrease barriers from the start