Are You Owed Money?

Are you owed money? If someone; individual or business owes you money, there is a procedure you can use called making a court claim, or a ‘small claims court’.

Before making your claim, contact the person or organisation to try and resolve the issue or get someone to do this on your behalf, such as a credit control company, solicitor or, if a member; the hashtagFSB.

If doing this yourself and unsuccessful in resolving amicably, and you are making a court claim for a fixed amount, this can be done online or by paper. An online claim can be made at

If you are making a claim for an unspecified amount you must download and complete the N1 claim form. Paper forms need to be sent to the following address:

County Court

Money Claims Centre

PO Box 527


M5 0BY

Unfortunately there are court fees to pay when making a claim. The amount of the fee depends on the size of the claim and whether the claim is made online or by paper. The fees can range from £25 to £10,000.

You may be required to go to court if the person or business you are claiming from denies owing you the money. If you are successful in obtaining judgement, but do not get paid, there are further steps that can be taken including the use of bailiffs to try and get what you are owed.

If you have any questions or need support with getting money you are owed, call me on 01752 220 377. I am happy to chat.